Thursday, April 16, 2009

Green Inspiration

It's Thusday and I'm alway eager to see what Inspire Me Thursday has as it's topic.

Today the topic was green. That originally made me think of our recycling box which is not the colour green but is a green idea.

Then for some reason I remembered this snapping turtle that I took photos of almost a year ago today. Saw him on the side of the road. Stopped and went back to take pictures. He was very kind and didn't attack me or anything. Never even hissed at me. Just sat there on the shoulder and looked at me and let me get within about 2 feet of him. Of course at the time I didn't realise he was a snapping turtle (I'm from the prairies and we don't have them there - but we do here in southeastern Ontario) and could have bitten my fingers off....

But he was HUGE. About 15 inches across his carapace and after doing some turltle research I learned that this means he is really quite old. His carapce was covered in moss and he looked like an old muddy rock - really excellent camoflage.
Anyways...

I decided to draw him this morning and this is as far as I've gotten with him in my sketchbook and now I have to go to work for the rest of the day so I'll have to come back to him later. But I think I have captured his eyes and his mouth.
After reading about them I was suprised at how calm and gentle he was that day. So turtles in children's books are green sometimes and maybe that's how I jumped over to this turtle - certainly the moss on his shell was a greenish icky colour.

Either way the topic green inspired me to draw him. So I have started. Stay tuned for more updates with him.

1 comment:

Tangled Stitch said...

I love to see process blogs and have recently started trying it myself. I love how he turned out and love that I got to see him as a head!

 

yamaha rhino class action